Monday, April 12, 2004

I did it for a reason

Okay so the only thing I have to say about today is this: If you change something on a schematic without me approving it I will not take responsibility for how wonderfully it fails. I can do my best to make sure your stupid changes don't make it through but in the future don't ever dare make a change to my design without my approval.

To explain my remarks the following is what happened.

A) An old design was updated by myself to make it use lower cost components. There were several resistors in the design, and since the design had been tested and is working in the field I left them the same.
B) Today I was asked to populate the new board and notice that the values seemed really wrong.
C) The following resistors were changed from my design (and hence the original) by the drafting guy without knowledge of it or approval from anybody else:
R2 was 240 ohms now 5.1 kilo-ohms: difference of 2000%
R6 was 750 ohms now 1.37 kilo-ohms: difference of 82%
R13 was 1 kilo-ohm now 1 ohm: difference of 100000%
R14 was 1.5 ohms now 1 ohm: difference of 50%

So it would definitely never work. And why the fuck did it ever change!? I mean come on how fucking hard is it to use the design I came up with instead of changing all the values. It actually takes a lot more work to change all the values because you have to go into the libraries and change each and every part. I mean the work all already done by me in the first place. So having to correct the print and send it back is really retarded.

Also changing part values is one thing, but lets say on a complex design, if a net were to change on me I would never be able to find it. I mean there has to be some accountablity in this and there just is none and it is driving me absolutely bonkers.

Editor's Note: Replacing the 1kohm part with a 1 ohm part would result in that one ohm part blowing clean off the board in a rather spectacular flash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home