Thursday, February 26, 2004

Committing the sin of which there is no repentance...

Okay I feel the need to be extremely plain about this. I'm also posting this here instead of in a friend's blog comments as a nicety, but I still may post it there if I feel like inciting a nice flame.

This government needs to remain secular. To endorse an amendment about marriage would do the one thing that to this point has been impossible for evil in our society to do thus far. That amendment would for the first time decidedly negate one of the most fundamental of rights listed in our Constitution. The freedom of religion. It would be the first amendment to reach into each person's life and say you will think this way. Then again maybe you feel comfort in taking orders and abandoning your right to be free:

"All you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live, and I'll think the way you want me to think," and all the blinds'll go up and all the windows will open, and you'll never be lonely, ever again."
--from the play Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee--

And if that wasn't bad enough, what would that set as a precedent? What could be added to the Constitution later if you could convince enough people to add it? How far could it go? Is the Constitution destined to become the manifesto of a Democracy?

Marriage is NOT a RIGHT. It is a law set forth by the religion of which you believe in. As a Christian I firmly believe it is limited only for a man a woman. I believe homosexuality is wrong. But I believe people have the RIGHT to choose to be that way. They have the right to believe what they wish, they have a right to form a religion in which they can marry.

The Constitution is not to protect the people's "soul" it is to form a government that will protect them physically. It is only to protect the rights each person has as an individual, not to tell them how to live their life.

I will paraphrase Voltaire: "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Because we know we are right it is our duty to make sure our religion is to remain separate from our government, or else both will be utterly corrupted. Death and the blood of our fathers is the price we have paid for our freedoms*. The quote "freedom isn't free" is both true and false, it wasn't free for those who paid the dearest price for it, but because it is free to us now and we must not squander it whenever we feel threatened.

*1. Interestingly enough if you were to take the mode average of the cause of death of the males in my family it would be war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home