Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Kerry scares me. Scares me because he has such a greater possibility of being elected than Dean. He has a fairly strange track record as a senator. He seems to skirt the line between democrat and republican, sounding more conservative than Bush. But he’s a career politician who knows how to say the right things when (meaning he’s really freaking liberal and I still hate those terms, liberal and conservative still…but I’ve already posted on that). He’s making a lot of promises in his campaign which may sound all fine and dandy but will things be left unfinished in the world that could raise their ugly faces in the future while we’re woefully unprepared?

But there is something that really perturbs me. Every candidate that has campaigned recently (where recently is defined as my cognitive existence) talks about “Creating jobs”. If the government can create jobs, the government has far too much power in the economy. Obviously we aren't talking Laissez Faire Capitalism here.

An interesting thing to note, immigration to the United States is still huge. The number 56 million foreign nationals residing in the United States was the last number I read. I haven’t been able to find any emmigration numbers, though I would be very interested to see them. The United States is the largest consumer, whether if be product, ideas, or people. The jobs are still here, but many feel above them and they go to those willing to work them.

How many times have you heard “…I’d work there but its minimum wage…”? Add in unions and miscellaneous other creations for preservation of the lazy man (of course don’t get me wrong here, unions had a purpose when the government was lax in its primary role of protecting the rights of individuals). The number of people flocking to the United States seems to indicate we are not hurting for employment.

I think I should post a quote which always (at least for me) invokes incredible emotion.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses
yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your
teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed,
to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

— Emma Lazarus, 1883 (In case you didn’t know where its from…think of the Statue of Liberty)

The simple wording illustrates something really important. Some people feel they have things comming to them, the world feels that since the United States has plenty that it should share. But remember this: we are the dregs, we are the rejects, we are the oppressed. We are taking what we are due as the freed. If somebody wants to talk about centuries old debts, then think of those. Think of the United States as the prison colony it was started as.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home