Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Okay so this week the "Close Encounter of the Stupid Kind" is simply this: nobody in the electrical department seems able to convince the rest of the world that specifications are actually important. We are so bogged down that we just spin our wheels, bouncing from project to project, feature to feature, if we don't have a good requirements document to work off of.

Feature Creep is deadly. It will sneak up behind you, and start sucking the blood from you without you even knowing it, quickly bringing you to your knees with no strength left to finish.

Requirements are important. They are the plan behind your run, or sprint in our case, they keep you off the dead end paths. Without them you don't even know what the finish line looks like so you keep on running forever without ever reaching it because you never know what to look for.

So that was item number 1.

Item number 2 is our IS department, or a specific individual in it who is completely uneducated, incompetent, and lazy. And he's short and skinny with a large goatee so I think he has an inferiority complex, which he should because he's stupid. Or at least the intelligence may be there if he chose to pursue an education beyond one semester of college but as it is his abilities have been questioned not once, not twice, not three times, but five times. That's right each person of the electrical department recently hired, the rose grad that is database programming, and the MCSE/CCSE the company hired could very easily do his job better.

Item number 3 is the attempts the IS department makes to try to rule our PCs with an Iron Fist. So we have Norton Antivirus on our computers, acting as a client to a server in IS that makes is run its deep scans at 12 NOON!. WTF? Of all the stupid times to run something so idiotic as Norton, you run it at 12 NOON?! I would never install Norton on a computer, never ever ever ever! Maybe McAffee or F-Secure, but definitely not a Symantec product. But anyway the scans take more than an hour and a half to complete. But you can't do a thing on the computer when it runs.

They have tried to force our homepage to be the intranet webpage (but it sucks quite badly). They tried to change the internet explorer wavy windows logo to a company logo (which is retarded because it moves so fast you can't read it). Well luckily both of these are easily solved by creating myself a local profile and removing most remote access abilities.

I consider my computer a device like a notepad on my desk. I expect to use as I please without somebody screwing around with it. I don't use a computer for things that would violate the use policy and I have never had a virus infect any computer I have ever used. Thus, I am extremely militant about who does something to my computer, if it reduces my productivity I have no problem with making sure a complaint goes as far as it has to go through the system to eliminate who interfered with my computer.

An IS buttwipe is easily replaceable. I am not, nor do I ever intend to be replaceable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home