Saturday, November 27, 2004

Vile Banks

So recently I've been trying to move all my banking activities to one location because of the pain involved with have your finacials spread over many different insitutions with many different rules.

So let's go through the history of my bank accounts

San Diego County Credit Union
Maybe I shouldn't have go rid of this one, but considering how painful it was to try to close the account 2300 miles away, I think it would have been just as painful to maintain it as well.

Terre Haute First
This bank sucks. Majorly. At least they have internet banking now. I think I gave up using them my sophomore year.

First National Bank of Monterey
So it was the only bank that I could find that would give me an auto-loan without a co-signer and with only one paycheck as a college graduate. That was nice of them. But they don't have internet banking so its a pain in the ass for me to check up on my accounts (like a checking account that pays no interest and my auto loan). I have my autoloan and $15k consolidated student loan auto-debiting from this account

First Federal Savings Bank
Why can't one bank have the best rates for everything? So I have my house loan through these folks, since it was a moderately good rate and I didn't need a co-signer or a humugous down payment, they offer interest on their checking account... at a whopping 0.75%. They have internet banking but it leaves just a little bit to be desired. And their ACH doesn't show up in all the databases like it should, which means sometimes you can't do electronic check transfers. I have my home loan and my parent's $65k student loan auto-debiting from here.

Netbank
So a friend of mine told me about this bank, they'd been using them for like 7 years and haven't had any troubles with them. This person had also worked at a bank for quite some time, so I take her word on how banks work inside. Anyhow they have awesome rates. Like the money market account I have with them is making like 2.2% right now. So they don't have any branches, but that doesn't really bother me anymore since I seem to move around enough that I just want to have one bank to do everything from, and I know that I'll never find a bank with branches everywhere I'll be. They also have a cool thing that interfaces with lots of credit card companies and brokerage and insurance firms so you can have all your important money sucking information displayed on your main banking page. But they've been having internet throughput problems lately.

So now that I'm splitting my paycheck three different ways and trying to maintain a big enough buffer in each account (especially the one without internet banking, meaning it doesn't export stuff to quicken) I'm starting to really feel the pain of having small fractions all over the place that I can't use to pay off all the misc balances I have around.

So my reconmendation to all of you is to pick a REALLY GOOD bank before you start setting up auto-debiting for loans so you get your nice loan rates on those colsolidated student loans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home