Saturday, November 06, 2004

The end of humanity.

I grew in a fairly isolated environment, home schooled. I didn't go to public school or socialize with children my age. Mostly after any sort of formal education assignment was finished during the day I would run over to any number of misc neighbors and help them with whatever they were doing. Whether it was Tim (mexican-american who worked for a catering company) to the North of me to help him remodel his house, or Dan (pretty much as close as you can get to a real coyboy these days) to the south of me to work on whatever project that had caught his fancy that day, I fairly broad exposure to different kinds of people and ideals. I grew up tolerant of people, and mostly with ideals that I thought were liberal.

For the longest time I have noticed that my tolerance (and as some would call it, open-mindedness) has been steadily declining. The only thing I can attribute this to is the numerous arguments/debates/discussions I have participated in, both in college and out. I find myself in a terrible dilemma, I try to hold a discussion with a so-called liberal, and am assaulted by the utter lack of logic they posses. Even those in college that I would somewhat respect I later notice they can absorb and regurgitate material well but they can't generate new thoughts. Being from an engineering school this has actually scared, and scarred, me quite a bit. I realize they are not willing to observe the facts, expand their mind, and extrapolate the truth from them. In fact they are more closed minded than what they accuse me of.

And when I get fed up with all of that I flip over to the conservative side. And again I see the SAME thing. People are still not willing to think for themselves.

So now I'm reduced to believing that there are two different kinds of people. Those with logic and those without. They will never be able to come to common ground. I am forced to reject my childhood education and belief that all people are created equal and thus deserve the same respect. Now I have to revise that to be, all people may be created equal, but some have rejected that which separates them from the apes, and thus should be treated accordingly.

I regret this new thought greatly, but how many times do I have to listen to people puke up what they've been spoon-fed without a tiny bit of analysis or healthy skepticism. I must now think about the two classes of people, monkeys and humans. Those who cannot (or refuse) to question their personal axioms I judge now to be monkeys and order them to read (for a start) Descartes, Kant, Mills, and Rand lest they vote their consciousness out of existence.

Editor's Note: Ironically this follows what happened in the writings of Mills as he aged. I truely hope in my heart that doesn't mean that my conclusion is as right as it would seem to make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home