Monday, October 11, 2004

Deep Thoughts

Okay I have a few questions and a few semi-baked thoughts I wish to dump upon this world and possibly hear other people's opinions on.

  • The premise I'm starting off with is the assumption that there exist genetic deficiencies in humans that we have been able over time to correct during a person's life.
  • The next premise is that the world's population and hence population density is rising.
  • And lastly that there exist certain environmental conditions that are conducive to increasing the probability that a genetic mutation will occur.

Given those stated premises my question is: Should we strive to prevent reproduction of those individuals that we have the ability to correct their defect and extend their life through the child bearing ages?

Which weight is greater: The natural right of people to reproduce? Or prevention of a generation dependent upon medical technology?

I can artificially created, through more discussion of course, a dilemma that I can not easily reconcile. However, I will end this post here in the hopes I will hear some thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home