Thursday, July 22, 2004

Ad campaigns

So I was watching TV last night (PBS actually...but that's the next post I'm going to make since it was very interesting) and an ad (or as they say public service announcement) from Philip Morris. I've seen a lot of ads to help the public image of companies but this one took the cake.

Philip Morris TV Ads

I saw the last one on the list. The following statements are made in this ad:

A) cigarette Smoking and disease
B) There is no Safe cigarette
C) cigarette smoking is addictive
D) ...smoking cause lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema...
E) To reduce the health effects of smoking, the best thing to do is quit

So at first glance I was actually surprised to see a former tobacco company giant paying money to air a public service message telling people not to buy their product.

Then I realized something, the whole thing is about cigarette smoking. They never said tobacco. They never mentioned the tongue, throat, and stomach cancers that tobacco chewers are almost certain to get at some time.

Clever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home