Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The State of Our Economy

I am very confident that the United States economy is recovering. I am both happy about this and very afraid. Happy because well a good economy is good for us right? Afraid because Price Inflation is ready to raise its ugly head.

Why?

Because electronic components I used to be able to get in 2 weeks in September now will take me 30 weeks. Some of these are commodity level items. This frightens me. At this moment chip fabs averaged out are all above the 90% usage mark. New plants start getting built around the 85% mark. Not many new plants have been made, thus I think the price of parts will rise, and then inflation is evident.

And then we have a job problem because people's salaries don't go up with inflation. I am confident that our fearless leader of all things money, Allen Greenspan, will not let inflation out of control. But 30 week leadtime parts become a huge headache for me at work.

In other news I've receive several responses from recruiters of a resume I posted to monster over a year ago. Scary. Why? Because one of them was from an insurance firm for a sales position, in which I learned that insurance companies do buy people's souls to sell more insurance. Starting salary for an insurance salesman with absolutely no experience whatsoever was 75k + benefits.

Too bad I actually care about my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home