Friday, October 21, 2005

I love this guy

Today's Must read

I mean we should all aspire to think like him.

I think another true visionary, Gene Ray, would agree whole heartedly with this fellow. "You've been educated stupid"

Coming back to reality I did find this site, however.

Here's a link for Jerry and Dave

So other than simply make fun of the guy that is totally against Object Oriented programming I'll try to be fair and say that there are cases were OOP probably isn't the most useful (in my case the embedded world). However in his writing he treats the quintessential procedural language C with distain, saying it is too strongly typed. That sets of some pretty serious red flags in my mind.

He even starts out saying that his entire experiance has been in small niche markets. I'm guessing these were small enough to only require him as the sole developer. I know there are people out there that use Python for everything under the sun, but it doesn't mean thats a good thing. He also speaks of Crystal Reports in a favorable tone (even my aunt who wrote a large chunk of SAIC's payroll reporting system has told me that writing a program to work with crystal reports takes more time than writing the program and a chunk of code to do what you needed from crystal reports).

I believe that this guy is ranting about poor implimentations of fellow contractors in his niche and not faults of that of programing paradigms or the languages himself. Combining both the statements that procedural code is better than object oriented and that C/C++ is too strongly typed really leads me to believe that this guy only really understands a few languages and his niche (which he actually blames the proponents of OOP for being).

As I think about it I am drawn more to the conclusion that this guy is a die hard perl fanatic designing web applications. It makes sense to the limited scope he talks about and the heavy emphasis on tables. In general web applications like shopping and web based email systems, etc do not act like standard PC applications. Mostly in web applications you are concerned with moving data from one place to another and formating it for display or storage. It is significantly more difficult to work with systems that require handling of multiple kinds of interrupts, events, or messages in a procedural only paradigm. For instance in the world that he is probably coming from the program that is instantiating his perl program is in essence treating it as an object.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home